Saturday, August 13, 2011

Shrimp and Gouda Grits

Gouda is my favorite cheese - so as soon as I saw this recipe for Smoked Gouda Grits in Southern Living magazine (May 2010), I knew I would have to try them. I decided to add my own flair to it and made it Shrimp and Gouda Grits. (I did not used smoked gouda.)

Gouda Grits
  • 4  cups  water

  • 4  cups  milk

  • 1  teaspoon  salt

  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground white pepper

  • 2  cups  uncooked quick-cooking grits

  • 1 2/3  cups  (6 1/2 oz.) shredded Gouda cheese

  • 3  tablespoons  butter


  • Bring water, milk, salt, and ground white pepper to a boil in a large saucepan; gradually whisk in uncooked grits. Cook, whisking often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese and butter, whisking until blended.

    For the shrimp:
    3 tbsp butter
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 lb shrimp, peeled

    Melt butter in pan. Add seasonings and then shrimp. Cook till done, about 5 min.


    To serve, put grits in bowl and spoon shrimp (and butter sauce from the pan) over.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment