Cream of Coconut Cake
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- Flaked coconut (optional)
- Toasted hazelnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch pan (for a sheet cake) or two 9-inch pans (for a layer cake - my preference).
- Combine the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, cream of coconut and the sour cream and mix well for 4 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cake cool then frost with cream cheese frosting and top with flaked coconut.
- To Make Frosting: Combine the softened cream cheese, vanilla, almond extract, and confectioners' sugar. Mix until smooth and spread over cooled cake. Top with flaked coconut and toasted hazelnuts, if desired.