Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Chicken Cordon Bleu



This was dinner tonight. A little late. Because I swore I had bread crumbs, but didn't. I think my husband thought I was just coming up with an excuse for a scooter ride, but I really thought we had breadcrumbs.

Anyways, if you don't forget the breadcrumbs, you should be able to start prep at 6:30 p.m. and have it on the table by 7:30 p.m. I bought the thin-sliced breasts and didn't beat them, but I think they still could have used some beating. (And, in my book, any excuse to use a meat mallet is a good one! Everyone talks about getting the newlywed woman a rolling pin to garner some respect around the house, but I'd take a meat mallet instead any ol' day.)

Cooking Light recommended serving it with mashed potatoes and green beans, but it's pretty filling on its own, so I just served it with sauteed asparagus. And I substituted Canadian bacon for prosciutto. (If you're bored one afternoon, walk in to your local Wal-mart and ask someone where the prosciutto is. It didn't end well. I just went with the Canadian Bacon. And in all fairness I know where the prosciutto is at Kroger and I never have to ask, so maybe the response would be similar.)

While making it, I started wondering why it's called "cordon bleu." No blue cheese. It just means "blue ribbon" in French so no help there.Wikipedia is not much help on the history - just says it's not named after the famous cooking school. Then I discovered, despite the French name, the dish is distinctly American. Just a trendy, fancy name for a trendy, fancy dish served at trendy, fancy restaurants...and at my house, too, of course!

A keeper recipe no matter the name! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment