Saturday, May 21, 2016

Squash Salad

This squash salad is adapted from a recipe in Festive Fare, which was a cookbook published in 1995 with proceeds benefiting St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis. (I'm trying to slowly cook through all of the community cookbooks I've collected so I can get some off of my bookshelves - to make room for more, of course!)

This cookbook is definitely in the middle of the fat-free 90s period, where every recipe is made "lite" by adding fat-free something or other in place of something else. But this squash salad recipe made me pause for a minute as I've never had squash or zucchini without cooking it. I was a bit skeptical - but it was yummy (and very picnic-friendly too!).

Squash Salad

1 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced purple onion
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp tarragon
2/3 cup white vinegar
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Combine squash, zucchini, and onion. Sprinkle with seasoning. Toss mixture with vinegar.

8 1/2 cup servings. 18 calories per serving. 3 g protein, 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g carbohydrates

No comments:

Post a Comment