Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Improbable Rise of Mississippi Roast


Many years ago, a woman named Robin Chapman from Ripley, Miss., made a pot roast in her slow cooker. Now known as Mississippi Roast, it would eventually become one of the most popular recipes on the web, especially Pinterest where it has been pinned more than a million times. It was a variation of  a recipe given to her from her aunt.

I had someone recount this recipe to me from Pinterest in a grocery store and thought they must be mistaken. A STICK OF BUTTER? IN A CROCKPOT ROAST?! (I mean anyone who has made a crockpot roast before knows how much fat is generated by the roast alone - without a stick of butter.)

So I left out the stick of butter and added a bit more juice from the pepperoncini. (And I have seen many variations of this recipe - one even calling for putting the whole jar in, juice and all.) I also seared the roast all over in oil before putting it in the crockpot, because I've never met a crockpot roast recipe that didn't do that.

I used my own Ranch dressing mix concoction to cut back on the chemical flavor from all of the instant packets. (I've never investigated how to make my own au jus packet, but I'm guessing it's mostly thickeners.)

Even without butter, it's pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment